Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Week That Is

Thursday is finally here. I am looking forward to the LSU/Butler game the most today due to the fact X played both during the regular season. That really is a pick 'em game.

- Monday was a good day. Always need to feel good about cleaning up some junk and donating it to Goodwill. I learned some hard lessons this tax season. I need to donate more. As expected my little guy was terrified of the dinosaurs at the Museum Center. A little over priced for $15 but what they have done is very impressive. Of course he was all about the dinosaurs in the gift shop. No basketball so I suffered a little from withdrawal on Monday.

- Tuesday was a so so day. Started off good with lunch at O'Charley's. Nothing like green beer at 11:30 AM. I knew beforehand there was no live racing at Turfway but no racebook either? Well we packed up and headed to River Downs and no racebook there either. No horse racing on St. Patty's day? Molly Malone's in Pleasant Ridge was happening. I also went to UD Arena (my God do they hate X) and watched the Opening Round game between Morehead State and Alabama State. Chief Kickingstallionsims' game did not live up to the name. Donnie Tyndall should get a call from somebody looking for a coach this offseason.

- Wednesday was a yard work day. I also journeyed down to Cintas to watch some D1 high school hoops. All four teams (Centerville, LaSalle, Princeton, and Aiken) have D1 talent. I think Kavanaugh (Centerville) going to UD will make an impact in college once he is an upperclassmen. I can see why Huggs made a last minute all out effort to get this kid to West Virginia. Think Bobby Brannen. Also Princeton is just flat out loaded with Jordan Sibert (Jr - verbal to OSU), Orlando Williams (Miami-OH), and Marquis Horne (Ohio University). I see them representing Cincinnati at the state tournament. It will be them against LaSalle Saturday AM at 11 again at Cintas Center. I am thinking I can squeeze that one in before the college games tip Saturday. Anyway Aiken has a couple of good ones in Darren Goodson (Bowling Green) and of course Chane Benahan. Not overly impressed with Chane but he didn't get to touch to ball very much at all. Speaking of early commits to the 'Cats I can see why they backed off Danny McElroy (6-6 power forwards don't do well in the Big East generally) but I think he will be a good player for Louis Orr and Bowling Green.

- I DVR'd the VA Tech and Duquesne game in the NIT last night. I am glad I did. It went to 2 overtimes and the final was 114-108. Ron Everhart played for VA Tech and was on their NCAA team in 1985. That was back when they shared the Metro Conference with UC, Southern Mississippi, Louisville, et al. That conference was so mid major. No wait a minute Louisville won the national title in 1981 and 1986 out of that league. That must have been when teams, not conferences, mattered. Anyway Aaron Jackson is my A10 POY hands down after watching him score a career high 44 points after only having 6 at the half. Great, great game. Despite the loss I think the Dukes are a contender in the A10 next year if Everhart returns. He will be a hot commodity.

- Other A10 teams in the post season include Rhode Island who won their NIT game at Niagra on Tuesday and Richmond is in the CBI and won on the road at St. John's last night. The Big East is 1-3 so far in the postseason. Counting the Johnnies loss, GTown went down to Baylor in the NIT, Providence fell hard against Miami (FL) in the NIT as well. Notre Dame is the sole survivor of the minor tournaments with a 70-64 victory over UAB. Will the trend continue in the Big Dance?

- My final four is Xavier, Connecticut, Michigan State, and North Carolina. Like the President I see the Tar Heels winning it all. I also like Pittsburgh and my sleeper final four team is Arizona State. I only fill out one bracket (completed this morning watching Blues Clues with my son FWIW) and my prognostications are usually way off. Still a fun thing to do.

- Time to head to the store and buy ice for the cooler. The beverages included will be Bud Light, Mountain Dew, Coke and Stewarts Grape Soda. That Stewarts is very refreshing ice cold. I will pick up a bottle of water for my kidney this morning also. The food spread is high in sodium (just the way it should be): Scoop Fritos to go in the bean dip, Ruffles and French Onion dip, homemade Texas style chili, left over shrimp fried rice, pepperoni-cheese-crackers, cheesy metts, Almond Cocunut Chip ice cream from Homemade, Doritos, and Armour Vienna sausages. Now keep in mind this is for all weekend and not just today. The main question on my mind though is grill the metts or boil them? Ah yes vacation is nice.

No comments: