Monday, March 9, 2009

Monday Musings

It's Monday afternoon again. The loss against Richmond wasn't as damaging as I thought. We dropped to #19 in both polls and finished the regular season with an RPI of #15. X is solidly in the five seed range right now for the NCAA tournament. A run in the A10 tournament and they could move to a four. Again I love my team but I am realistic about their postseason chances. We need to improve point guard play, shoot free throws at 75%, and bring rivalry game type defenisive intensity to play outside the first weekend in the big dance. If we get the right matchups we could make it to the round of 16. We are a good shooting team that could become a great shooting team on any night. Now again I am going to root like hell that happens but I will take the success the season has already bourne:

- A 24-6 record.
- Winning the PR tournament.
- A10 regular season champs.
- 3-1 record in miami valley rivalry games.
- 3 seniors on pace to graduate.

Those are good measurables. It says a lot about changing expectations when you see that and know most of the die hard fans expect more from this team THIS season. I honestly thought 21-22 wins and an appearance in the NCAA's would be lofty goals for X coming off an elite 8.

I have a good solid 4.5 hours of basketball to watch tonight. Four automatic bids to be awarded tonight. 'Championship Week' is the best to me. Now all I have to do is find a way to free up two hours on Thursday at noon to watch our first round A10 tournament game.

No comments: